Friday, December 25, 2009
Vegetable Sagu (Curry of assorted vegetables)
Vegetable sagu is prepared in many flavors in India. Each house in India possesses its own recipe for vegetable sagu. There is no right or wrong recipe for it as long as its healthy and tastes good. Down here, I have my household version of the same:
1. Vegetables like carrot, capsicum, Coyote Squash, ridge gourd, potato, cauliflower, beans etc. finely chopped - 2 large cups
2. Peas or any such legume - 1 cup
3. Green leaves (you can use fenugreek leaves) finely chopped - 1 large cup
4. Onion coarsely chopped - 1 big
5. Vegetable Oil - 5 table spoons
6. Curry leaves - 10
7. Mustard seeds - 1 table spoon
8. Cumin seeds - 3 table spoons
9. Black Pepper - 15 grains
10. Salt for taste
11. Powdered coconut - 3/4 th of a large cup
12. Green Chillies - 15
13. Urd Dal - 1 table spoon
14. Chana Dal - 1 table spoon
15. Huri Kadalae (Roasted gram) - i small cup
16. Tamarind - 2 table spoons
Pressure cook the chopped vegetables, peas and green leaves in the same container till the vegetables are soft.
In a seperate pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, chana dal and urd dal.
Before the dals turn brown, add onion and saute till onions turn golden brown.
Now add cooked vegetables and saute.
In a blender add powdered coconut, cumin seeds, black pepper and green chillies, roasted gram, Tamarind and half a cup water and blend well.
Add this to the vegetables, add salt and bring to boil. Enjoy the Sagu with hot Chapathis and rotis.
Posted by Indian at 4:41 PM