Friday, December 25, 2009
Vaangibath (Spiced Rice and Eggplant) Recipe
Vaangibath is a Rice based dish popular in Karnataka and Maharashtra region on India. It is very easy to prepare and tastes great too. So please try out the recipe:
1. Rice 1 cup
2. Water 2 cups
4. Brinjal (Green long slender ones) - 5 numbers
5. Curry Leaves
6. Coriander seeds - 5 table spoons
7. Sesame seeds - 5 table spoons
8. Tamarind - About 3 table spoonful
9. Dried red chillies - about 10 to 15 according to your taste
10. Cloves - 3
11. Cinnamon - about 3 cms long stick
12. Salt for taste
13. Mustard seeds - 1 table spoon
14.Chana Dal - 5 table spoons
15. Urd dal - 5 tablespoons
16; Jaggery - about 2 spoonful
17. Dry coconut powder - about 7 table spoons
18. Vegetable oil - 10 tablespoons
Cook 1 cup rice in 2 cups water and set aside.
In a roasting pan, dry roast Coriander seeds, Red chillies, Sesame seeds, cloves, cinnamon and tamarind.
Remove these from the pan and transfer it to a mixer.
Then roast Urd dal and Chana Dal in the same pan together till they change their color to light brown and add it to the mixer as well.
Add dry coconut powder and Jaggery to the ingredients in the mixer and blend well till they become a fine powder.
Cut the brinjals into slices of 5 cms length and 0.5cms thick.
Add oil to a frying pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it once it heats up.
Add brinjals and fry for about 10 mins or till the brinjals are cooked thoroughly.
Turn off the flames and add the Vangibath powder from the mixer and mix well.
Add salt for taste.
Break the cooked rice to seperate the grains and mix the fried brinjal and spices with rice finely.
Tasty Vangibath is ready to be eaten !
Posted by Indian at 4:49 PM